JSE gets go-ahead to acquire 74.85 percent shareholding in Link Market Services SA

JSE CEO Leila Fourie: The acquisition of Link SA paves the way to exciting new opportunities.

JSE Limited, the operator of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, has received approval from the Competition Tribunal to acquire a majority stake in share registry business Link Market Services South Africa.

The JSE will acquire a 74.85 percent shareholding in Link SA for a cash amount of R224.5 million, with Link SA’s Black Economic Empowerment shareholding retaining the remaining 25.15 percent. 

The transaction is expected to be concluded on or around 2 November 2020. 

JSE CEO Leila Fourie says: 

“I am very pleased with the positive outcome from the Competition Tribunal. This acquisition paves the way to exciting new opportunities in the issuer services space. The Link SA acquisition is part of the JSE’s ongoing strategy to grow sustainably and diversify its revenue.”

Through Link SA, the JSE intends to introduce products and services to corporate entities in South Africa with a focus on shareholder communication and engagement.